One of the products that has come under the most fire in recent years is the energy drink. Consumers have been asking questions with regards to the content of these drinks as well as the questionable ingredients with little research that constitute some of the drinks out there. It is important to be educated on what is in your favourite energy drink and it is important to find a brand that is willing to disclose its formulation so that you can make informed decisions when buying products.
Energy drinks are not necessarily meant to be consumed daily but can be used during times of fatigue or when an energy boost is required.
Energy drinks like most things in life – need to be used in moderation and responsibly. It is impossible to expect a positive outcome from anything when over-indulging or over-consuming. Below we will discuss what is inside USN®’s new “It’s the Qhush” energy drink. This is a collaboration product with the Orlando Pirates soccer team and features a branded look with the tried and proven USN SPIKE X300 formulation.
• B-vitamins: Found naturally in food and plays a role in energy metabolism, therefor the most widely used energy supplement ingredient. Assists the body in converting food to energy.
• Taurine: An amino acid important in several of the body’s metabolic processes, may improve cardiovascular health, insulin resistance and electrolyte balance.
• L-carnitine tartrate: Helps transport fatty acids to the mitochondria of cells where it can be used for energy .
• Panax ginseng: May fight tiredness and increase energy levels .
• Caffeine: Increases energy, mood and relieves fatigue. Acts as a stimulant on the central nervous system to improve alertness and motivation.
Q: Does “It’s the Qhush” contain excessive amounts of caffeine?
A: No – “It’s the Qhush” contains 300 mg of caffeine which is equal to 3-4 cups of regular coffee. When consuming an energy drink high in caffeine, it is important to note how much caffeine you consume from other sources as well. The recommended daily allowance for caffeine varies from country to country but is usually between the 300 mg to 400 mg mark.
Q: Where can I find out what is in my USN “It’s the Qhush”?
A: USN voluntarily provides the complete formulation of our energy drink on the product label. This is a complete profile of the content as well as the dosages of each ingredient. It is also important to note the warnings and directions of usage on the label.
Q: How much sugar is in a USN “It’s the Qhush” energy drink?
A: The product contains zero sugar.
Well formulated energy drinks can offer various benefits. It is important that the warnings on the product is noted and that individuals stick to the recommended daily allowances. Individuals who are sensitive to stimulants such as caffeine should always consult with their health care professional before consuming products high in these specific ingredients.
There are a few products out there that are formulated to be cheap and drastically spike energy levels. These products may not necessarily be the best option when choosing an energy drink. Always read on the can to get some more insight of where the energy is coming from.
It is also important that energy drinks with stimulants not be taken after 4 p.m. to ensure that sleep is not disrupted.